Monday, January 20, 2014

A Day in My Life

What is it like in the daily life of a Fangamer employee?

Well, it's different for each one, but I definitely notice a pattern in my own routine.
I usually wake up at about 9am. I don't use an alarm clock since those things are stressful, so instead if I need to get up at a certain time I just adjust the time I go to sleep at night. I often go to sleep some time between midnight and 1am, so I'm pretty used to waking up at about 9 in the morning.

After waking up and checking my clock (if I've only gotten a few hours of sleep I'll just roll over and go back to sleep until I've gotten about 8 hours), I roll out of bed, turn on my computer, and take care of my shower/breakfast routine.

I generally aim to be in the office by 11am at the latest, but the earlier the better. Jeff sleeps later than I do and doesn't drive, so sometimes I have to wait for him to finish getting ready before I leave. Other times he decides to walk, especially if he hasn't had time for breakfast yet. Or, when our third roommate Lindsay is home, she'll drive him in later.

When I arrive at the office I immediately turn on my computer and whip out my Techo. In my Techo I start writing down my tasks for the day: posting stuff to Fangamer's Facebook page, responding to emails, and any of my other myriad tasks. The emails usually give me additional tasks.

Example tasks from today's Techo page:

  • Email partners a reminder that PAX is approaching and that if they want merch in time for PAX they should start working on that very soon.
  • Start getting Double Fine's Day of the Devs shirt ready to launch in their store (needs photography, weights, inventory, description, etc)
  • Get estimate for (unannounced partner)'s posters
  • Email an update to podcast contributors
  • Add the remaining MAGfest inventory back tot he regular inventory
  • Work up an invoice for our fulfillment of the Retronauts Kickstarter
And more.

At some point in the day I'll need to figure out my lunch plans. There aren't a whole lot of places I like to eat at around the office (I try to limit myself to one trip to Five Guys per week), so sometimes I'll just go home and make myself something there.

At the end of the day, especially on a Monday, I'll likely still have a bunch of stuff on my list that I haven't been able to get to. These things will need to be handled in the next few days. Regardless, I'll probably leave the office at 8pm. When I was doing more mailroom work I would work far longer hours, but now that most of my work is cerebral (business deals, emails, management, communication) I find myself getting tired more quickly, attached to the 8 hour work day.

When I get home I'll generally start planning dinner, watch something, and play games until about midnight or so. Then, I turn off my computer and head to bed, where I may end up reading for an hour or so before falling asleep.

Weekends are a different story, but there isn't enough of a pattern there to bother detailing it. If I ever do anything really interesting on the weekend I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment